Whether you operate a water cooled heat exchanger/condenser such as a vacuum condenser, overhead condenser, steam turbine condenser, gas compressors coolers, etc. or a process heat exchanger, such as crude oil desalter water pre-heater, crude oil pre-heater, SAGD produced water heat exchanger, oil sands froth heat exchanger, etc., reducing fouling and scaling, reducing shut downs for cleaning, and increasing heat transfer efficiency and plant performance are the process engineer’s and unit operation’s goals. WSA’s On-line Automatic Tube Cleaning System (ATCS) provides the plant operators the means to achieve their desired goals.
Periodic manual cleaning of heat exchangers require equipment shut down, and expensive maintenance staff time. Once the exchanger is cleaned and returned to service, the fouling and scaling starts to build up again, lowering the exchanger’s efficiency until the next shut down.
Now with a WSA ATCS you can permanently solve the fouling and scaling problem and never have to shut down for frequent cleaning of the heat exchanger tubes again or disrupt the plant operation.
With WSA’s Brush-type Automatic Tube Cleaning System you will achieve:
- Increased Heat Transfer Rate
- Increased Heat Recovery
- Increased Vacuum
- Increased Energy Efficiency
- Increased Plant Output and Performance
- Reduced Downtime
- Reduced Maintenance
- Rapid Investment Payback
- One on One Technical Support
- Installation and Continued Service Support
- Fast Aftermarket Support
Each tube is equipped with one brush and two catch baskets. The baskets are attached to each tube end by means of special epoxy or using a patented secondary tube sheet. Baskets are designed to allow for easy removal and replacement of the brushes when worn after years of operation. The baskets are designed to hold the brush outside the tube and away from the fluid path to avoid flow restriction and without causing measurable additional pressure drop across the heat exchanger.
The flow diverter is housed within the piping to and from the heat exchanger. It is custom designed for various piping configurations for ease of installation and insignificant pressure drop. This unique 4-way flow diverter allows for periodic flow reversal through the heat exchanger at preset times, without reducing or stopping the flow through the exchanger and without taking the exchanger out of service or interrupting its operation.
The flow diverter’s operation is initiated by the programmable control panel based on the cleaning frequency it is set-up for. Once it is initiated, the diverter valve momentarily changes the flow direction through the heat exchanger, shuttling the brushes out of their parked home position into the tube until it is captured by the basket at the opposite end of the tube. The diverter valve keeps the flow in the reversed direction for a short few minutes until it is returned back to its normal position, returning the flow inside the tube to its original normal flow direction. Once the normal flow cycle is established, the brushes return back to their home parked position, while brushing the tube again. The brush has a small interference fit within the tube, gently brushing away any foulant and scale that is built inside the tube between each cycle of operation. The cycle of operation is repeated three times per day or as many times as necessary based on the process condition and the severity of fouling and scaling. It should be noted again that the exchanger remains in full operation and without any interruption during each cleaning cycle.
Repeating the on-line cleaning cycle several times each day will prevent foulant and scale to build inside the tube inner surface and will keep the heat transfer efficiency at its highest clean and design conditions, increasing the heat exchanger’s overall performance.
The system consists of four (4) major components:
- Free floating single brush, in a variety of non-metallic and metallic materials, suitable for process and operating condition.
- Two catch baskets to hold the brush at either end of the tube during normal or reverse flow. The catch baskets are designed to allow for fluid to enter and exit the tubes without measurable pressure drop. They are available in a variety of non-metallic and metallic materials, suitable for the process and operating condition.
- Single 4-way flow reversing/diverter valve. The custom design diverter valve is offered in various configurations for ease of installation. It is offered with or without ASME “U” stamp in different materials suitable for the process condition and at applicable design temperature and pressure ratings.
- Fully automatic programmable control panel to initiate frequent on-line cleaning cycle and provide system status and alarm signals. The control panel is offered as NEMA 4X or explosion proof, at various voltages and rating.